Promoting the Art & Science of Straw Bale Building
Welcome to Ausbale
Ausbale is a group of building industry professionals, researchers, owner builders, and interested people who share our knowledge and experiences.
This website is a place to ask questions, find answers, seek inspiration, share photos, articles, advice and contribute to the growing movement towards better, smarter, ecologically sustainable, non-toxic and beautiful buildings.
Contact members in your state with any queries - refer to the Find a Professional directory.
Strawbale EcoHome For Sale Victoria
Dunolly Eco Home/ Farmlet for Sale
Be an urban homesteader and forget the rat race! Solar strawbale, 3 bedroom home on flat 1.5 acres in historic goldfields town of Dunolly, central Victoria. Delightful whitewashed interiors. Short walk to shops, bushwalks etc. Cheap to run! Permaculture gardens, giant shady peppercorns, wildflower meadow orchard, native shrubs and much birdlife.
* House dimensions: 7m by 15m, plus 2.4m wide north facing verandah down the full length. * Strawbales around outer walls. Thick insulation elsewhere to match. Great climate control!
* Low maintenance, green colorbond exterior. * Solar passive design, solar hot water and solar pv panels feeding electricity into the grid. * Concrete slab floor, painted for easy care. * Rain tanks, 5 @ 1000 gallons each (rainwater filtered with First Flush Diverters & Leaf Eaters). * Sewer connection. * Instant gas cooking and hot water back up. * Excellent ADSL broadband (thru the phone line)
* Whitewashed interiors are bright and sun-filled in winter. * Big master bedroom has 3 windows with views of trees, 2 smaller bedrooms are very cosy. * Open plan kitchen/dining/lounge. Spacious entrance hall and bathroom/laundry. * Small utility porch/shed on south side.
* Permaculture gardens - 30+ fruit trees, 8 big vegetable beds, giant peppercorn for
shady outdoor living (& makes good plant nursery!), native shrubs & lots of birds around edges. * Flat land, over 1.5 acres. House is on one corner, with room for another, or big studio or shed
etc down the back. * Short walk 3 blocks to Broadway, Dunolly’s main street. * Other directions from house: creek and bush walks, bike trails and gold prospecting close by.
* Dunolly town - Historic goldfields heritage town boasts all amenities: well stocked super-
market, monthly street market, butcher, baker, fish and chips, laundrette, post office, rural transac- tion centre, neighbourhood centre and Mens Shed, Bendigo Bank, pub, mobile library, golf club, public swimming pool, hospital, petrol station, demolition yard with secondhand building materials, kindergaten, primary school, community garden, garden club, bus to Adelaide, Bendigo & Maryborough (train goes straight to Melbourne from there). A great little community!
* Where’s Dunolly? -
45 minutes west of Bendigo, 2 hours north west of Melbourne, 30 minutes from Maldon, 20 minutes from Lake Cairn Curran, 15 minutes from Maryborough.
PRICE: $175,000 CONTACT: Kate@ballaratrealestate.com.au...
Straw Bale Building Courses & Workshops March/April/May
March - This is a 4 day strawbale wall raising workshop on 7-10th March in Yass. If you are thinking of building or owner building a straw bale home, this would be an essential workshop to go along to so you can see what you’ll be doing. Get in quick to register as places are limited to this workshop. Free in exchange for your hard work.
April - Build a strawbale dome with reciprocal roof (self supporting) in a 4 day workbee. On 6-9th April at Milkwood Permaculture Centre. Sam will be running this workshop to show you how you can build your own straw bale dome.
May - The 3 day Strawbale Course is on 3-5th May at the Australian Rural Education Centre, Mudgee.
It’s a one of a kind straw bale course as it goes through the fundamentals to advanced building techniques. This course covers everything from designing a solar passive home to foundations (slab, piers), wall and roof framing (load bearing vs in fill), running services (electrics, plumbing etc), rendering to maintaining your straw bale home. For owner builders, builders, designers and keen natural building enthusiasts. It’s a blend of theory with practical experience.
"I would like to say a big thanks to AREC and Sam Vivers for putting on such a great course. As a building designer it has definitely opened up my eyes to the next level of sustainable building design." Jamie, Harris Building Design Services.
To book these workshops and courses, go to www.vivahomes.com.au
A home which we have fully renovated is now ready to sell. It is a sustainable strawbale home made of cob and strawbales with clay and lime renders.
Strawbale and earth homes do not come up for sale often. This home brand new, at this size, would cost around $600,000+ (including land, services and house).
• Handcrafted timber benches, vanities.
• Tung oil on timber floors.
• Light and airy with high ceilings.
• Mature fruit trees include apple and apricot trees
• 4 bedrooms + study, ensuite, dining room, lounge room, outdoor deck.
• Double glazed windows throughout. This will add to keeping a constant temperature throughout the year as well as block out any noise.
• High insulation (R5.0) in the ceiling and up to R10.0 in the strawbale walls! Which is some of the highest R ratings you can get in the world.
• Close to shops and transport.
• Views from living room to Blue Mountains National Park.
• Close to bushwalks and waterfalls.
• Low maintenance garden.
• Great neighbourhood.
• Dual entry option.
• Good exposure for any businesses working from home with ample parking.
Offers above $400,000. Contact Gary Brown of First National on (02) 4759 2666.
Open House Inspection times:
Saturday 10th December, 2011 @ 1:00pm - 1:30pm
Saturday 17th December, 2011 @ 1:00pm - 1:30pm